What is this course about?
A level Further Maths consists of 4 papers and they are completed at the end of Y13 with assessments from Edexcel.
The assessments are:
- Paper 1 Core Pure Mathematics 1
- Paper 2 Core Pure Mathematics 2
- Paper 3 Further Mechanics 1
- Paper 4 Decision Mathematics 1
Paper 1 - Core Pure Mathematics 1 (25% of A2) 1.5 hours.
Paper 2 - Core Pure Mathematics 2 (25% of A2) 1.5 hours.
Paper 1 and Paper 2 may contain questions on any topics from the Pure Mathematics content:
- Complex numbers
- Further algebra and functions
- Further calculus
- Further vectors
- Polar coordinates
- Hyperbolic functions
- Differential equations
Paper 3 - Further Mechanics 1 (25% of A2) 1.5 hours.
- Momentum and impulse
- Work, energy and power
- Elastic strings and springs and elastic energy
- Elastic collisions in one dimension
- Elastic collisions in two dimensions
Paper 4 - Decision Mathematics 1 (25% of A2) 1.5 hours.
- Algorithms and graph theory
- Algorithms on graphs
- Critical path analysis
- Linear programming
What might this course lead on to?
If you are planning to take a degree such as Engineering, Sciences, Computing, Finance/Economics, etc., or perhaps Mathematics itself, you will benefit enormously from taking Further Mathematics. Further Mathematics introduces new topics such as matrices and complex numbers that are vital in many STEM degrees.
Students who have studied Further Mathematics find the transition to such degrees far more straightforward.
Grade 7 in GCSE Maths